Thursday, May 17, 2007

The value in having multiple coupons

I haven't had the opportunity to shop much lately because I had some surgery to repair my hernia. I feel like I'm in withdrawal.

I have found a good source to buy coupons. EBAY!!!!! This week I bought a set of coupons from a lady just to see what kind of deal I'd get. I got 100 coupons, all worth at least $1. I paid her $4 for them (that included the postage). I got the coupons today and they are awesome!!! It turned out to be a tremendous deal for me. Lots and lots of valuable coupons I can use. I got way more than my money's worth in that coupon purchase.

Buy coupons, you say? What idiot would PAY for coupons? That's what I used to think too. But when you do the stock up sale shopping like I have been trying to do, having multiples of valuable coupons comes in tremendously handy. Did I tell you about my Dr. Pepper deal?

A few weeks ago, Walgreen's had Dr. Pepper on sale. It was a store coupon that said buy 4 - 12 pks for $10, get one free. So, that by itself is a decent deal. A 12 PK of pop for $2.50. BUT....here's where the duplicate coupons come in.....Walgreen's allows you to use their store coupon AND a manufacturer coupon on the same item. I had manufacturer coupons for $1 off a 12 pk. So, by combining the coupons, and having a LOT of manufacturer coupons, I got 12 pks of Dr. Pepper for $1 for the entire 12 pk. Yes, that's right. $1 or broken down even further, 8 cents per can. AWESOME DEAL!!! I paid seventeen cents for each Sunday paper insert that contained the valuable Dr. Pepper coupons, so if you must add that in, you'd have to say that each 12 pk cost me $1.17. Whoppie. And then that would mean that the rest of the coupons in those Sunday paper inserts I bought were all icing on the cake, because I got my money's worth with the pop coupons. I bought 20 12 pks of Dr. Pepper. We won't need pop here for quite a while, thus diverting that money in the grocery budget to some other category I can stock up on. Whatever the loss leader is this week, or whatever good deal I can get on meat, or whatever. I can easily set aside $30 to put toward next month's Angel Foods because I don't need to buy pop. See how this works? The goal is to never pay full price for anything. Of course, I'd rather have Diet Coke. But if you can learn to not be quite so loyal to all your usual brands of stuff, you can really do some power shopping and couponing and use the savings for something cool. To me, food isn't "cool" anymore. I've had gastric bypass, I could care less about food. But, the rest of the family still likes to eat, so I have to spend some money on it for them .

WHEW! You still with me?

This is why buying coupons comes in handy and if you know what you are doing, you can come out of the deal way ahead. I have a source I buy the entire Sunday paper coupon inserts from , and I also have my lady on Ebay now that I am going to begin purchasing from once in a while. I spend probably $10-15 a month on purchasing coupons, but I promise you, I am making way more than that off those coupon deals, especially when I can combine them with a sweet deal at a store with a store coupon.

Enough about coupons. Now, go use one!!

1 comment:

juliecache said...

I am now looking into buying coupons. Cereal is probably the only thing I use coupons on. I usually give coupons for items that I don't use to my sis and sil. I just realized that they do not reciprocate. But I use coupons only on things that I normally buy. That is frugal too, don't you think? I had a college roommate who would buy things she didn't normally buy just to use a coupon and "save money," when in fact, I think she spent money that she normally wouldn't.