Saturday, May 12, 2007

Angel Food Ministries

Angel Foods Ministries is awesome (so far, anyway). You can check out their info. at:
Today we picked up our first Angel Foods distribution. I bought the "regular unit" for $25 and a "grill box" for $18.00. I am impressed with the food. They say that the regular unit has a retail value of $48-$70 and you only pay $25 for it. I was skeptical, but after actually getting this food, I am inclined to believe it. The only thing so far that is not palatable to us is the box of generic mac and cheese. We really must have Kraft if we are going to eat boxed mac and cheese at all. That's just the way it is.
Here is what my $25 bought today in the "regular unit":
(4) 5 oz. New York Strip Steaks
(1) 4 lb. I.Q.F. Chicken Thighs (IQF= Individually Quick Frozen)
(1) 40 oz. Beef & Bean Burritos
(1) 28 oz. Banquet Beef & Noodle Dinner
(1) 2 lb. Breaded Frying Chicken
(1) 1 lb. Ground Beef
(1) 12 oz. Pepperoni Pizza Sticks
(1) 2 lb. Popcorn Chicken
(1) 1 lb. Bean Soup Mix
(1) 8 oz. Biscuit Mix
(1) 7.5 oz. Mac & Cheese (YUCK)
(1) 12 ct. Corn Tortillas
(1) 26 oz. Pasta Sauce
(1) 16 oz. Pasta (this turned out to be a pound of spaghetti)
(1) 24 oz. Hash Brown Potatoes
(1) 16 oz. Mixed Vegetables
(1) Dessert Item (This turned out to be a frozen peach pie that you put in the oven to bake)
The $18 "Grill Box" consisted of this:
2 8-oz. Ribeye Steaks,
2 8-oz. Sirloin Strip Steaks,
4 4-oz. Bacon-Wrapped Pork Filets,
4 4-oz. Steak Burgers,
1 1-lb. Italian Sausage
The purpose of Angel Foods is to help families make their food dollars stretch farther. So far, I like what I see. However, there was no fresh produce. That is OK, as I joined a CSA this spring, and I will get a share from that each Friday. I'm not sure about the frugality of the CSA, but I will at least be sure of getting fresh produce. I have room for gardening, but frankly, I just don't want to. So, for $250, I'll get ten weeks worth of produce from the CSA. Hopefully it is a good fit for us.

No comments: