Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Books, and other Media

I have to admit....I like books. I like owning books. But since I really internalized a more simple lifestyle mindset a few years ago, I have learned to curb my desire to buy books. The absolute BEST thing I did was to get a Des Moines Public Library Card. I live in Newton, which is roughly 45 miles away and frankly, the Newton library sucks compared to Des Moines. I can order books through the Des Moines library computer system right in the comfort of my home. I can browse their catalog and pick out what books, movies, CDs I want, and they are ready for me to pick up when I get there. I can even go through the drive-through window to get them. Newton has an online system too, but what good does it do me when they nearly NEVER have the books I am looking for? Oh sure, you could request they buy them, but I want to read the book NOW, not in six months. Anyway, the Des Moines library has everything I could ever dream of wanting. We are in Des Moines at least once a week to go to Church, so it is no bother to go to an out-of-town library. And the fact that there is free wireless internet makes the library a good place for us to have a school day on Sundays while we are killing time while my daughter waits for choir, and is in choir, right next door.

Now, the real reason for this entry is to encourage you to always check to see if your library has a "For Sale" shelf. I have bought some amazing books, movies, CDs, and computer software on the sale shelf. For literally dimes and nickels. I just got a good upper body work-out DVD for $2. Sometimes the stuff is brand new, not even opened. I don't know how or why they sell new stuff, but I don't care. And there have been a couple times I knew I could sell a particular item online for a nice profit. It is usually always a win-win situation. I always take a peek at what's for sale when I run in to the Des Moines library. One last thing....the fact that they have an underground parking garage is awesome too. No getting my hair rained on. LOVE THAT.

The motto of this entry is.....don't buy books and other media unless they are used and unless you REALLY feel you must have it (as a reference tool). And be sure to check out your library sale shelf. You never know what you might find there.

No comments: